Friday, November 4, 2016

The Marquis has Arrived...

Hi all,

Long time no see!

Thanks for stopping by!  I actually have a painted figure to share with you today!

My painting Mojo has been at a low ebb for the last three months...but the prospects of some 3rd ed gaming in my near future have motivated me to actually get something done!

For the upcoming gaming I hope to run my Bretonnian army again...and it has been lacking in mounted leadership...so the focus of my painting efforts was to complete the General for my force...the Marquis de Saud-or! 

...Also known as Sir Great Helm...:)


As you can see I have decided to use the 5th ed Grail Knight Champion as my general.  I find most of the Grail knight figures from this release to be a bit over the top...but I think this figure works great when elevated to Nobility.  To add a bit of interest I decided to mount him on the horse from the Green Knight.  This mount features much more elaborate barding and a rearing pose than the regular knights and that will help the Marquis stand out from the riff-raff.


I'm embarrassed to say that I picked the components to complete this figure as far back as 2012!!!  So it has only taken me 4 years to get this done...lol. 

Below are a series of WIP shots if you are interested to see how tings progressed.

Purple has always been one of my least favorite colors to paint...but I'm feeling pleased with the way it has turned out on this figure. 

I'll be working up some photos with him and his troops when I get a chance.

It is also time for me to write up the fluff for this army which I have had rolling around in my head for quite a while. 

...these will be the subjects of future blog posts....

Cheers,

Blue

15 comments:

  1. What a great result! The combination of that lovely creamy white and the regal purple really make your general eye-catching. Nice way to reset the painting mojo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks axiom...I'll pick something a little less elaborate next time...and perhaps a bit faster!

      Delete
  2. Great work!

    And if metal, that is currently a very expensive bit of horseflesh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it is all metal!!! How dare you suggest otherwise!!! :)

      Delete
  3. Great brushwork
    and may I congratulate you on selecting a figure cast from the only material suitable for wargames figures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you fix the rider to the cork and wire assembly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a hole drilled into the saddle of the horse. there is a hole drilled into the bum of the rider. I superglue a 2-3 inch length of brass rod into the rider and then jam the other end into the top of the wine cork. Thats about it...when it comes time to mount his steed I cut the rider's rod short apply glue to the remaining rod and stick it in the hole on the horse and Bada-Bing...you're good to go

      Delete
  5. Thanks. That seems a very sensible approach that I'll have to adopt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! The colour choice is striking and appealing, well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great pick for your general to be sure. I'm a real big fan of Purple and Yellow together. I think the Purple and White look really good. Can't wait to square off against your Brets again. Or barring that, see you and Brian duke it out for the Throne of Escargot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! And that horse is perfect for a general.

    Aside from the de Sade reference, the Sir Great Helm name makes me think of Dark Helmet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. his name is actually my poor attempt at the clever naming of the past. My Brets live in a small portion of the empire that was gifted to a Bretonnian noble after he saved the emperors life in battle. This area is now known as Sade-or...this is a play on the Marquis de Sade and Sodor....the home land of Thomas the Train. Yes I watch a lot of kids shows. The owner of the rail road on Sodor is known as Sir Top'em hat...my general as Sir Great helm. As you can see I'm not very good at this...:)

      Delete
  9. Bluey, you have reentered the game in top form after resting up in the off-season. We're looking forward to a great run from you now, so you better tighten those laces and get going. Your, ah, painting laces. For your hand-shoes.

    ReplyDelete