Saturday, May 18, 2013

LPL Round 5: "They Just Keep Coming!!!"

Hello everyone!  Just a quick post today to keep you all up to date on my 2013 LPL Run.  This week marked the middle point of this years contest....and the pressure is already starting to get to me....well the pressure and my schedule! 

Anyway...more on that later....back to the shiny bits. 

Besides being the mid-point of the contest, Week 5 also ushered in another of the themed rounds...this time the topic was: Civil War.  When this topic was announced I immediately starting thinking about teams....and I came to the conclusion that I didn't have any figures that could fit this theme.  So that my mind quickly turned to thinking about what historical figures I've seen in the past that I've been itching to paint... and that fit the theme...I quickly settled on the Boot Hill Miniatures Alamo defenders and their excellent Mexican Army figures. 

....a brief digression...
"Was the Texas Revolution a 'Civil War'" you ask? well... that's a question for another time...but I would argue yes...uprisings that succeed are called "Revolutions" but hey still represent a country divided and in open conflict with itself...just like a "Civil War"  Anyway....the kind judges at the LPL agreed that it fit the bill so off I went!

....and now back to you regular programming...

I had really enjoyed seeing the greens of these figures posted by Malamute over on the LPL more than a year ago...here was the perfect excuse to buy and paint a couple of packs.  So off to the the interwebs I went...and soon 4 packs of minis were winging their way across the Atlantic to me (thanks Nick!).

Once in hand the figures did not fail to impress.  Both the fantastic Tennesseans and the Mexican troops are extremely clean sculpts and castings with tons of character, I could tell they were going to be a joy to paint.  Both packs are a perfect mix of historical accuracy and a little Hollywood thrown in for good measure. 

This being a themed round I had at least 10 figures to paint so I prompt cleaned, primed, and got to work! 

Work and life obligations kept painting time to a minimum all week... so I was up till at least 3am on Friday getting thing to a point where I could take a picture and get it sent in....as you can see I didn't quite get the bases done....sigh.  For now I'll just post up my submissionn picture....but you can expect more detailed photos of each figure when I have a chance to get them properly based and re-photographed.


I really enjoyed painting all of these...and though this is not an era I'm really interested in gaming...I see more of these finding their way to my collection and my painting table....

...maybe a diorama...?!

Cheers for now!

Blue

1 comment:

  1. This was a lovely entry Blue, I especially like how Davy Crockett turned out.

    This weeks is quite nice as well. Love how you splashed the orange in amongst the scouts.

    ReplyDelete